Kadai chicken or Chicken karahi is one of the most authentic and one of the tastiest chicken curries originating from the Indian subcontinent. It precisely replicates the beautiful palette of spices in India. The spicy and tangy flavor of this dish is perfect when eaten with Naan (Indian Bread). One bite of this dish and you will reach the dreamland of the beautiful Indian spices. It is named after Indian wok (Kadai) which is used to make this delicious dish. It is not a creative name but well it doesn’t matter; the taste of the dish is enough to make anyone fall in love with it. After you eat this once, there is no going back. Rest assured when you enter the Mehfil Indian Cuisine for Indian food, this will be the first dish that will come to your mind.
The tasty dish made from juicy chicken, made in tasty thick tomato sauce, and perfectly garnished with those tasty spices is all you need to make your meal even more delightful and make your stomach smile. Kadai chicken is a delicious, spicy, & mouthwatering dish made with onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, & fresh ground spices. This dish is simple to make, mouthwatering by name, and one of the most famous chicken curries in the Indian subcontinent. It is a dish found on the menu of every other Indian Restaurant in Ottawa, however, we at Mehfil Indian Cuisine have had the best reviews for this dish amongst several other dishes.
Kadai chicken comes on the drier and thicker side of the curries. The spices in the curry stick onto the chicken to make it even tastier. You can try it with butter naan just the way it is eaten traditionally. The taste of the butter just makes the flavors even more delightful. The fresh ground Kadai Masala is the main ingredient for this yummy and authentic Indian dish. If you don’t have this already, many brands are selling this Kadai masala powder, you can pick it up at any store selling Indian spices.
This curry comes in two forms, 1 – bone and 2 – boneless, which is highly preferred as the spicy curry mixes well with the meat and just tastes heavenly! Red chilli and fennel seeds are one of the main ingredients of gravy. Some chefs also add onions to it along with bell peppers. It is not necessary but it surely adds some good flavor to it. This isn’t a part of the authentic recipe, still, there is nothing wrong with trying new things, is it? Let me take you on the journey from the kitchen to the plate. Making of Kadai Chicken starts from chicken pieces marinated in spicy ginger garlic paste and then cooked along with big chunks of onions and capsicum and a spicy rich and smooth tomato gravy.
Obviously like any other Indian dish, the secret of this curry also lies in the special masala made from grinding all the different spices. At Mehfil Indian Cuisine, the head chef prepares a fresh masala, a newly hand-made masala that makes us unique amongst all other Indian Restaurants in Ottawa. You can always get the Kadai masala from the store.
- Now take the chicken pieces (with bone or boneless based on your preference) and start marinating. Well, people use a lot of different ways but at Mehfil Indian Cuisine, we prepare it with ginger garlic paste, onions, pepper, and some lemon juice. Also, add red chilly powder. This will also give a nice reddish color to the dish. Marinate the chicken for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Take some coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, and dry red chillies and roast until they release the smoky smell, and then grind them together to make the masala.
- Also, add some crème and curd to the chicken after marination. This will give a beautiful and creamy texture to the gravy.
- Now let us start with the final process
- Take some oil in the wok ( Kadai ), add cardamom and some spices that you like.
- Add some ginger garlic paste and green chilly to the mixture. Now add the onions and saute them for a while.
- Now add the marinated chicken and the masala you made or bought to the mixture you have made.
- Add some salt to taste and water based on the thickness of the gravy you need.
- Cook this for some time.
- Your dish is now ready. So let us give it the final touch to make it even better.
- Add some crème from up to make it presentable and also a smooth creamy texture.
- Add some coriander and you are ready to go.
- The journey from kitchen to your plate is now complete.
I know you are tempted and your mouth is filled with water, so what are you waiting for? Compare your homemade Kadai Chicken with Mehfil Indian Cuisine Kadai Chicken! Place an order and try the best Indian food in Ottawa today!
Experience their ‘ART OF FOOD’ world-class cuisine TODAY!